Vehicle and Pedestrian Accidents

Home / Vehicle and Pedestrian Accidents

Vehicle and Pedestrian Accidents

Motor vehicle accidents continue to be one of the most common causes of injury. If you’ve been injured in any type of motor vehicle accident, including those involving a drunk driver, a semi-truck, or a distracted driver, you have recourse to recover damages so you can get on with your life. You may be entitled to compensation for damages, such as pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost wages, loss of future earning capacity, and property damage.

Likewise, many injuries are caused to pedestrians when drivers are distracted, speed, fail to yield, or are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Pedestrian accidents often happen while crossing the street, but can also happen on sidewalks, parking lots, or in recreational areas. If you’ve been injured as a pedestrian, you also have the right to recover damages from the responsible party or parties.

Frequently Asked Questions

If you’ve been in a car accident and you’re injured, your top priority should be getting medical attention. If you’re not taken to the emergency room and are physically able to do so safely, take photos or a video of the accident scene and collect contact information from any witnesses. Never admit fault or apologize to anyone involved, even just to be polite- it could be used against you if you try to claim damages later on. If you think someone else was at fault, contact an attorney as soon as possible for more guidance.

Do not speak with an insurance adjuster for someone else’s insurance company if you’re involved in litigation. Even if they seem sympathetic or friendly, they are likely trying to get you to say something that would reduce or eliminate the liability of their own insured.  Tell the insurance adjuster to contact your lawyer or your own insurance company. The same applies if another party’s attorney attempts to contact you.

Every state has time limits for filing a car accident claim. You should speak to an attorney as soon as possible after the accident to preserve your right to file a claim. In Ohio, generally speaking, a person must file a claim for injury or property damage resulting from a car accident within two years, though an experienced attorney may be able to successfully argue that a longer period should apply. Contact our office as soon as possible if you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident to discuss your potential claim.

Ohio doesn’t have a limit on how much you can recover in “economic damages” caused by a car accident. That includes things like medical bills, lost wages, damage to your vehicle or other property, physical therapy and medication, medical devices or lost future earnings (meaning you can’t earn as much money due to the accident). Ohio does have limits on “non-economic damages.” These are meant to compensate for pain and suffering and other negative impacts on your life as a result of damages. In Ohio, non-economic damages are generally capped at either $250,000 or three times your economic damages (up to a maximum of $350,000 per person and $500,000 per accident), whichever is greater. Contact an experienced Ohio car accident attorney today to discuss your potential claim.

Get more answers to frequently asked questions HERE .